News : Ke$ha : The Cream Interview

Friday 29 July 2011
The Cream Interview



Nashville Cream: Last time I wrote an article about you we didn’t get to talk.

KE$HA: Which one did you write?

NC: I wrote the article about not interviewing you.

KE$HA: Was this the one about the heroin and butt-plug one?

NC: Yes!

KE$HA: You wrote that one?

NC: Yeah, that was me.

KE$HA: That was a funny one. I liked that one.

NC: Excellent. So I guess now that we’ve covered heroin and butt-plugs, let’s talk about volunteering. I think it’s really cool that you’re working with Hands On Nashville for this one.

KE$HA: Yeah, well I’m really excited about it too, because, as I’ve said, I don’t know if you’ve read the quote I gave with it, but I always used to sneak into shows. It was just kind of like a pastime of mine.

NC: Definitely.

KE$HA: So then I thought well some people that maybe don’t wanna potentially put themselves in an illegal situation, potentially get arrested or don’t wanna make out with roadies, they can just help out instead and get a free ticket.

NC: That’s very thoughtful of you. Although I think that the roadies are probably gonna be pissed at you.

KE$HA: Yeah, well… I was like 17. They were lucky motherfuckers.

NC: OK, so, how is the tour treating you? You’re in Europe right now, right?

KE$HA: Yes, I’m in Belfast right now, and I’m about to play a show here. I’ve been doing kind of like the festival circuit in Europe, but the tour’s been doing really good. I’m playing with LMFAO here. Much like I’ll be playing with LMFAO in Nashville when I come to Nashville on the 31st of July. So, it’s going really well. It’s just like they’re totally nuts, and we’re totally mental, and it’s just like a really intense dance party for about two and a half hours.

NC: That sounds like a good time. Actually, I caught your last Nashville show, and that was pretty awesome. The benefit you did for the flood back in …

KE$HA: Oh yeah, the flood benefit at the Limelight.

NC: Yeah, yeah. That show was insane. Just in terms of like how hot and sweaty it was. I’m expecting more of the same. Oh, one of my friends wanted me to ask you what your all-time favorite show at Next Generation was or if you ever snuck in there?

KE$HA: Yes, wait, Next Generation, is that the place in … that was in Brentwood, right?

NC: Yeah, it was.

KE$HA: Yeah, I used to go all the time. Wait, there was a band. The lead singer of The Pink Spiders …

NC: Silent Friction.

KE$HA: Yes. Yes. I have seen them play there when I was in high school, like 9th grade. That place is actually really close to my house.

NC: Let’s see, I had a couple of other requests. Folks wanted to know what your favorite mid-Murfreesboro band was?

KE$HA: Oh God, I don’t remember. It’s been so long. Jesus. I don’t remember.

NC: Yeah, there’s no real reason to. Somebody wanted to know exactly how “Brentwood” you were and if you knew the weekend hours of Joey’s House of Pizza?

KE$HA: No, not very Brentwood. I actually didn’t hang out with a lot of people from high school. I hung out with a few people from high school, but for the most part we would always drive downtown. We would go to the Exit/In and try to sneak into shows, or we would go run around Centennial Park and climb up into the trees, or we would sneak into the Springwater and try to drink beers, or we would try to crash frat parties.

NC: Nice. Time well spent.

KE$HA: Yeah, we also threw a bunch of parties at the Motel 8. We threw hotel parties and got kicked out.

NC: Sounds a lot like my high school experience. Really formative experiences. Nothing quite like the first time you get like frisked by the police when your trying to hide booze in the trunk of your car at 17. So, I’m gonna kinda keep on the local thing. When you’re back in town, what are you doing these days when you’re hanging out in town? Are you just like keeping a low profile or working?

KE$HA: Yeah, I keep a relatively low profile. Last time I was in town I ended up hanging out with some friends of mine. The Black Keys had moved to town, so we ended up getting to play some music, and we recorded some kinda crazy stuff.

NC: Nice. Oh, so that answers my question about the non-Twitter-beef Twitter beef, ’cause I thought that … your interchange with Patrick over, what was it? The Video Music Awards or some award show.

KE$HA: Oh no, I was at his house. We were playing music all day, and I was at his house and he was Twittering me from across the table. We were fighting about shrimp because he loves shrimp, and I personally think they are the cockroaches of the ocean, so we kinda got into it over the shrimp topic.

NC: That’s excellent. I’m glad I got the inside scoop. Yeah, shrimp are kinda weird. It’s like chewing on a sponge.

KE$HA: Yeah, they’re gross. If you’ve ever seen one alive, you would never actually want to eat a dead one.

NC: Yeah, they’re weird little bugs. I mean they’re overgrown sea monkeys.

KE$HA: Oh, gross.

NC: Yeah, think about that next time. Any other, hmmm, any other shellfish you’re not into?

KE$HA: I don’t do shellfish. I don’t do bottom feeders.

NC: Excellent. Good to know. Not that I plan on cooking shellfish anytime soon.

KE$HA: Yeah, don’t send me shellfish and/or shrimp. Please. Ever.

NC: Cool. Well, other fun Nashville things. Where do you get your dry cleaning done? Do you have a big dry cleaning bill? It seems like you would.

KE$HA: You know, I probably dry clean my tour outfits. I do four costume changes, so those I dry clean, but I’m rarely in Nashville. I think I’ve lived in Nashville for about a year now, and I’ve been there a grand total of … if you tallied up all the time, about a week-and-a-half.

NC: Oh yeah, you’ve been … I mean, how many days did you play last year? Like a couple hundred right?

KE$HA: I’ve played more than I can count or keep track of, but all I know is when I come to Nashville, it’s usually for a day, maybe two at a time. The last time I was in town, I got to come home for about five days, so that was like a really extended vacation for me in Nashville.

NC: Excellent.



Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment